Tsukiji Market (築地市場) re-opened its tuna auction visit for tourists from this tuesday. It had been suspended since 11th March 2011 when the East Japan earthquake occured.
As per their instruction for the early morning Tuna auction visiting on the official site and leaflet available at the market entrance, followings are guideline announced on 25th July 2011.
*To see Tuna auction "from the special observation area" on early morning...
Please make a reservation
- at "Fish Information Center" (おさかな普及センター) located next to "Kachidoki Gate" (勝どき門) of Tsukiji Market. The gate is on Harumi Street.
- Reservation starts from 5:00A.M. (Only for the day of visit acceptable, no adavance reservation possible)
- The market is able to accept only 120 visitors per day. These visitors will be allocated into two time slots by first-come-first-served basis.
1. for the first 60 visitors - from 5:25 A.M. to 5:50 A.M.
2. for the 2nd 60 visitors - from 5:50 A.M. to 6:15 A.M.
*Please kindly keep in mind that it might be changed without prior notice depending on the various situation related the market. We recommend you check the latest information on its official website.
Tsukiji Market official site: http://www.tsukiji-market.or.jp/tukiji_e.htm
Tokyo Tourism Information News: http://www.tourism.metro.tokyo.jp/english/administration/tsukiji_201107.html
If you are not able to become within the first come 120 people or are reluctant to wake up so early morning, still you have a chance to feel the vital atmosphere of the market and to enjoy fresh seafood there. Please visit my previous posts about Tsukiji Market and restaurants there, as linked below.
Tsukiji Market (築地市場)
RestaurSushi Dai, Tsukiji Market (寿司大 築地市場)
Takahashi in Tsukiji Market (高はし, 築地市場）
Accommodation recommendable to visit Tsukiji Market
They are all withing walking distance to the market.
Mitsui Garden Premier Ginza
Courtyard Marriott Ginza Tobu
Park Hotel Tokyo
Royal Park Shiodome Tower
Tokyo New Hankyu Hotel Tsukiji